About half-way through the trip, we had to repair the Landcrusier. The front shocks were worn out again (we'd replaced them once already), so we headed for Moyale, a border town ½ on the Ethiopian side and the other ½ on the Kenyan side. Instead of buying a new set of shocks, we had a mechanic cut and weld a used set of shocks there. These ones were better than the brand new ones we had just put on the car! We also bought a new tube for the tire...you remember, the one that was stabbed? Being a border town, we ran into a bit of a problem in that I'd forgotten to bring my passport! Do you remember the poorly dressed bush man we'd picked up earlier? Well it turns out he knew people in Ethiopia in high places. He saw us there, and I got in and out of the country with no problem. God knew what we'd need and prepared the way!
![]() |
| Appropriate name, don't you think? |
Being Getch's home country, he knew the place and showed me around. I even enjoyed some Ethiopian food and slept in a nice bed. The only problem was the cockroaches -- they were HUGE! I had bug spray and a bed net though, and so was safe for the night.
While I was with the mechanic fixing our shocks, two sheikhs approached and wanted to debate about what we were doing in the bush. I was alone while the others were taking care of business in another part of the village. I did not think about it at the time but how did they know we were in the bush? They said, "We need help here. People need jobs. They need food and medical care here in the city." I told them we already had people (Christians) here working to help, and I asked them what was wrong with their uma (community)? Their community should take care of its own, but I assured them that if they needed the help of the Christian community, then we would help. They did not like the answer and left.
| On the way back to Sololo |
The drive back to Sololo was very nice with the new shocks, and we made it back in record time. As with many other days we were in the village buying food for the missionaries when one of the community (a young man) approached the vehicle. He asked a few questions.
1) You believe that Jesus is God?
2) You believe that the Holy Spirit is God?
3) You also believe that God rules the whole universe?
To which I replied that indeed I did believe these all to be true. Then he asked another question. "If all of these things are true, how can God rule from the womb of a woman?" I sat there for what I thought was a long time and finally replied, “Who am I to say that God can not?” This upset my M* friend as he sat there and thought about the question I put to him. This is exactly what I wanted for my friend to think about -- really who God is and why do we, as mere humans, put limitations on God?

No comments:
Post a Comment