Friday, January 1, 2010

Jet lag still a factor...

So much for overcoming jet lag. I hit a wall about 4:30pm yesterday, struggled through two hours doing head nods while people were trying to engage me in conversation and finally gave up. Came home and unloaded two bags, then fell into bed. Ashley and Jeff were the same. We all woke up about 4am and have been making a list of what we need to buy as we are going shopping today!

Oddly enough, we need to buy light coverings as we have a bunch of bare bulbs hanging in the rooms!


George has a friend, though George isn't overly fond of his friend. Did you know geckos make noise? We listened and watched as George chased the other and they made their squeaky-chatter this morning as we ate breakfast.

It's a very community-oriented compound. Lots of people walking around outside and having coffee or playing badminton or just chatting.

So far, the worst part has been the mosquitoes at night. Although we'd heard in the States that malaria was in Nairobi, no one here seems particularly worried and, in fact, are not on malaria meds. However, there are still an abundance of mosquitoes and no screens on the windows. Shopping today will include bed nets.

I took a quick video of downstairs and will attempt to upload it to Facebook. I'll post a link when I get it there. In the meantime, here are some pics:





2 comments:

Alice Graves said...

Wow, very nice digs! And, yes, I do know about the gecko talk. When we were in Kauai, our house had quite a few. Surprisingly, they didn't creep me out; we found them fun to look for and study up close. Jet lag is awful, but it sounds like you are on the mend. Brock gets up at 4:00 a.m. every day, so you are getting back on schedule. I hope you have a successul day of shopping and can get a few creature comforts such as the mosquito nets. Take care, my friends.

Anonymous said...

Julie,

So good to hear you all made it! What an adventure. I will think of you every week if not more. In some ways, I really would like to be there but there are many ways that tell me I like it where I am. Good luck to all of you and God's blessings on Ashley as she adjusts to the climate, friends, and surroundings.

I love you all

Brother John